Sopra Steria, a European leader in consulting, digital services and software development, has been recognised for the fifth consecutive year as a global leader on corporate climate action by its inclusion in the CDP Climate Change ‘A’ List.
Inclusion in the CDP Climate Change ‘A’ List rewards Sopra Steria for making climate action ‘business as usual’ in its operations, supply chain and services to clients. A core part of the company’s environmental sustainability programme, climate action is part of Sopra Steria’s wider Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability strategy.
CDP’s annual environmental disclosure and scoring process is widely recognized as the “gold standard” of corporate environmental transparency. In 2021, over 590 investors with over US$110 trillion in assets and 200+ major purchasers with US$5.5 trillion in procurement spend requested companies to disclose data on environmental impacts, risks and opportunities through CDP’s platform. Over 13,000 responded – the highest ever.
“The world is facing an unprecedented climate crisis that will affect nature, the economy and public health. Business must lead by example and contribute to society to save our planet for future generations,” says Vincent Paris, CEO of Sopra Steria. “On this basis, I am delighted that the contribution from our 46,000 people has powered Sopra Steria to the CDP’s ‘A’ list for the fifth consecutive year, clearly demonstrating our leadership in corporate climate action,” he added.
Sopra Steria’s key objectives in Climate Action and Environmental Sustainability can be summarised as:
- Net Zero emission by 2028: reduce resource consumption and emissions on both direct and indirect operations and offset the residual emissions by capture projects by 2028
- Direct Operations: Continue reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by reducing energy consumption, moving to renewables, moving to energy-efficient offices and data centres, leveraging technology to reduce business travel and using low-carbon modes of transport
- Client Services: Support our clients in their transition to a Net Zero economy by applying eco-design principles to our solutions and climate-friendly approaches to service delivery, and by exploiting the potential of new technologies to reduce GHG emissions
- Supply Chain: Launch a five-year programme to engage suppliers in the emissions reductions required to keep global warming below 1.5˚C and to analyse their progress
- Climate Ambassador: Proactively engage with policy-makers and influencers such as governments, UN Global Compact, Science Based Target initiative (SBTi), CDP, The European Green Digital Coalition, European Climate Pact, academia and niche players in the climate agenda for society.
The Sopra Steria Group’s performance against key indicators such as its science-based emissions reduction targets and its engagement in the UN Climate Neutral Now is independently audited and reported publicly in its annual report.
“For 5 years Sopra Steria has achieved the top CDP Climate benchmark rating. It is not surprising that Sopra Steria is best in class as they have a long-term commitment to sustainability and reducing their and their supply chain’s carbon footprint. Sopra Steria’s ambitious target is to be Net Zero by 2028. They will achieve this because they actively engage all their employees and stakeholders, in building resilience in their supply and value chains, while supporting their clients in the transition to the net zero carbon economy” says Mark Maslin, Professor for Climatology UCL and CR Board Advisor of Sopra Steria Group.
Paul Simpson, CEO of CDP, said: “Many congratulations to all the companies on this year’s A List. Taking the lead on environmental transparency and action is one of the most important steps businesses can make, even more so in the year of COP26 and the IPCC’s Sixth Assessment Report. The scale of the risk to businesses from climate change, water insecurity and deforestation can no longer be ignored, and we know the opportunities of action far outweigh the risks of inaction. Leadership from the private sector is essential for securing global ambitions for a net-zero, nature positive and equitable world. Our A List celebrates those companies who are preparing themselves to excel in the economy of the future by taking action today.”
Recognized by CDP on the 2021 climate change A List for the fifth year in a row, Sopra Steria is in the top 2% of the 13,000 companies worldwide responding to the CDP climate change questionnaire.
Sopra Steria's commitment to climate action and the environment is part of the Group's desire to make digital technology an accelerator and a source of opportunity and progress for all.